At St Anthony’s we encourage children to explore their learning through play.
During Masterclass time we provide a stimulating environment and a range of natural materials for children to explore. Provocations (activities) are used to provoke children in their thinking. New concepts may be introduced to help children begin to explore new ideas or consolidate skills and ideas that have been addressed within the classroom.
As children become more confident in their collaborative skills and more skilled in oral language, the developmental play content is introduced alongside more formal learning. The following are key elements in the implementation of play based learning at St Anthony’s.
Students have opportunities to:
- Share their experiences with each other
- Use their prior knowledge
- Drive their own learning
- Choose the way in which they would like to learn
- Have opportunities to access the curriculum at appropriate entry points
- Develop their social / emotional skills
- Experience Wonder and Awe
- Engage in learning which is developmentally appropriate
- Explore their Catholic Faith
- Develop and express their creativity and imagination use problem solving strategies
- Link play based learning skills and knowledge into formal learning and vice versa